Junior Concert Band is for Year 4 students who learn a Woodwind, Brass or Percussion instrument. They start with Beginners' Music Camp and achieve great success in many performances throughout the year. Students love the fun repertoire choices.
Junior Concert Band rehearse 7:15 am Tuesday morning in the Hall.
Junior Concert Band Director: Mrs Rhonda Haringcaspel
Percussion Ensemble is for Year 5 and 6 percussion students to perform in a small ensemble together. They enjoy performing a range of exciting music.
Percussion Ensemble commences in Term 3 on Tuesdays during 1st break in the Hall.
Percussion Ensemble Director: Mrs Sue Berti
Senior Concert Band is for students in Years 5 and 6 in their 2nd and 3rd year learning their instrument. Senior Concert band consistently scores highly at competitions throughout the year, and showcase their talents and progress at school-based concerts.
Senior Concert Band rehearses 7:15 am Thursday morning in the Hall.
(Term 2 2020 - Year 6 rehearse 7:15 am Thursday morning, Year 5 rehearse straight after school Thursday afternoon)
Senior Concert Band Director: Mrs Rhonda Haringcaspel
Ensemble Rehearsal Times
Junior Concert Band
(Year 4 Band students)
Senior Concert Band
(Year 5 & 6 Band students)
7:15 am (Y6)
3:00 pm (Y5)
(Year 5 & 6 Percussion students)
Process of Selection (Brass, Woodwind, Percussion)
- A test of musical ability is given to all students in Year 4 in October, Children are listed in order of merit and a cut-off point is established.
- A demonstration of all Brass, Woodwind, Percussion and Lower Strings instruments is given by senior music students in the school.
- The classroom teacher’s knowledge of the student is sought for suitability of student to be involved in the program.
- Instrumental Music specialists conduct practical test of the short listed students.
- Final lists of successful students are collated with the preferences of each student.
- Parents are notified.
- The parents/guardians of the selected students are invited to a meeting to gain first hand knowledge of the program from the Music Staff.
- Parental and student commitment is gained. Instruments are allocated by the beginning of the following year. In February of the following year classes commence.
Beginning students are expected to attend a Beginners Music Camp held for all beginning students in the Ferny Grove Cluster. There is a nominal fee associated with this camp.
Students in an Instrumental Music Program at another school, when transferred to this school, will be given a high priority for placement in the program, subject to a satisfactory audition and satisfactory report from the Instrumental Music Instructor, the class teacher and the availability of a position.